This week we have been reading about project-based learning and WebQuests and thinking about ways that these might work in our classroom. I had never heard of a WebQuest before taking this course, but I am fascinated by the avenues of learning that this could open for my students.
After gaining some understanding of what exactly a WebQuest is, I searched for a WebQuest that would be appropriate for my students and could be modified easily for my situation and goals, but I was not convinced that what I was finding could be adapted to my students (although as I've said before, I hate re-inventing the wheel and I'm sure that there are already WebQuests out there designed to meet similar situations such as my own - I just need to keep searching!). I do have an idea for a tourist agency Webquest where the students play the roles of Tour Agents for English-speaking tourists, but as I feel it requires more time than I have right now in actually creating an excellent tool, I just described my project as a technology-enhanced lesson. But I like the idea of dealing with local content (geography, history, sites, traditions of Tunisia) that would be already familiar to my students and thus lessen the degree of difficulty for content and background knowledge, and motivate students to share the beautiful things of their country with others.
I have also been reading on student autonomy and I do agree that as teachers enter the role of facilitator in the classroom and the in the learning process, it can become one of the keys to motivating students to own their learning. I would like to say that whatever methods or technologies I use, that I hope I am creating a learning environment and learning opportunities for students, not just feeding them information. I have always been convinced that if students enjoy what they are doing then the process of learning new material comes so much easier.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Ellen,
ReplyDeleteyou are right to say, and I agree with this idea, that in our classrooms, we are the facilitators. It's up to us to arise our students' interest in the new lesson and most importantly, to keep it alive. Sometimes, they get bored and tired... we are bored and tired ourselves, but among all those practices and teaching methods we know, we can choose the best ones. I also think that what it important is not the quantity, but the quality. What if I decide to skip one lesson as I know my students are not interested in it? I'd rather make sure when they leave the classroom they know something, they learned something new from my class...
Lately, I have tried something about myself: at the end of the day, before getting asleep (and starting dreaming about wionderful flowers and blue sky), I try to remember all the things I learned, it doesn't matter from where or from who.I am satisfied with myself when my end-of-the-day-list is not empty. I want to do the same thing with my students: have something in their mind or heart when my English class is over.
I wish you a great week!
All the best,
Nadina
Dear Ellen,
ReplyDeleteIt’s true that the internet has got plenty of Webquests, but I don’t believe that what works in a certain environment would work in the same way in another one. It is not always a matter of adopting and implementing. Some adaptation should be done so that the the activity would suit your students. Then, as is your case to a certain extent, I didn’t use to know much about WebQuest. Though somehow tough, this week has been a party of a real discovery to me. I have created a WebQuest which is a great achievement for me. A very simple one, but it’s the beginning. I would never say that it is originally mine. Of course I did it in the way I want it, choose the topic and design tasks and the process, but I have got inspired by the experiences and literature I have come across. I have learnt from other people to create mine. When we are able to make ours, we can then create more appropriate ones to students because the best WebQuest in someone else’s class wouldn’t simply be so in my context. I can give my students what they need, not what some others need.