Saturday, May 15, 2010

Reflection on Rubrics

I was so happy this week to finish the rubrics for the internship project. I just wish that I could have discovered RubiStar earlier! I have shared this site with some other teachers and I hope that they can benefit from it. It certainly does make a difference when the problem of formatting (rows/columns etc) is already done for you, because this is probably part of what scared me off from making my own rubrics before. Checklists are okay, but a rubric obviously can give more complete info for both the students and the teachers. And, if the criteria are identified clearly, a student can understand how they receive their grades. The feedback then provided to the students to evaluate their progress and/or performance will be more helpful in the long run.

As I spoke about in my nicenet post, the scoring system is somewhat problematic. Over the years I have learned to adapt to the system: an excellent score for my Tunisian students is a "15" and teachers rarely score anything higher. Logically, to "pass" with a score of 10 out of 20 means that a student is successful but has only mastered half of the information or has only scored half of the points on a fill-in-the-blank for example. Which is not logical. Obviously, there are times when a student perfectly meets the requirements, and does exactly what we have asked him to do. I will have to wait and see what the teachers think about the rubric this week and if they want to make changes to the point system.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ellen,

    I agree with your idea that rubrics are of great help, for teachers and students. Even if they mean extra work, they are worth it, as they help us in evaluating and maybe being more objective, especially when it's about an essay or composition.

    Good idea to share ot with your mates - maybe you'll agree in changing the point system. Good luck

    Nadina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen,

    I just finished my Rubric task and I agree with you that Rubistar is really very helpful for us educators.Goodluck and more power.

    ReplyDelete